Eating with Braces
If you have traditional metal or clear braces or any kind of functional appliance, avoid eating anything too hard or too sticky, like caramel, taffy, bubblegum, beef jerky, hard tacos, or chips. We will provide a more extensive “no-no” list during your bonding appointment.
Caring for Your Braces
Proper oral hygiene and following the no-no food list is the best way to care for your braces! Brush in the morning, before bed, and after every meal. Use enough pressure to get past the brackets to the teeth, using a car wash motion, pushing everything out from under your wires. Flossing with braces isn’t any harder, it is just more time consuming. You will thread the floss under your wire and in between the teeth, using a normal flossing motion.
Dealing with Discomfort
If you experience discomfort from a bracket or wire, or if your braces break, place wax on the affected area and call our office right away. We will get you in at our next available appointment. Any general soreness after adjustments should go away after a day or two and can be alleviated by taking an OTC headache medication.
Tips for Success
- Have excellent oral hygiene.
- Follow your no-no food list to avoid breakages.
- Make sure you come to your scheduled appointments to ensure you stay on track with your treatment.
- Wear a mouthguard when you play sports.
- If you do break something on your braces, make sure you let us know right away so we can get you in for an appointment to get it fixed!
How does Dhingra Orthodontics make your life with braces easier?
- Up-to-date bracket technology, multiple treatment options including metal and clear brackets, and Invisalign® clear aligners
- Convenient before and after school appointments
- Well-trained and well-versed staff to help with emergency phone calls
- Wires that work longer to help with patient comfort
- The best bonding materials to ensure less bond failure
- A wonderful specialized orthodontist with 25+ years of experience
- Three convenient locations in Bellefontaine, Springfield, and Beavercreek